While there has been improvement over the last couple of years by our current City Council, there continues to be room for great improvement as our City continues to have several millions in structural inefficiencies borne by Red Deer taxpayers on an annual basis.

From 2003 to 2018, the population of Red Deer increased from 72,691 to about 99,832, an increase of 37.34%. During this same period, Alberta’s inflation rate increased 34.67%. Therefore, combined growth in Red Deer’s inflation and population for 2003 to 2016 was about 72.01%.

Compare this 72% increase with exponential increases in our City’s operational expenses (less depreciation) for 2003 to 2018, about $90 million in 2003 exploding to over $283 million in 2018, an increase of over 215%!